- Upgrade your fluorescent lamps. If your facility uses T12 fluorescent lamps, relamping with modern T8 lamps and electronic ballasts can reduce your lighting energy consumption by a whopping 35 percent.
- Cut back on your lighting. Dimming the lights in hallways and other common areas by just a few watts can translate into energy savings of as much as 10 percent over the course of the year.
- Harness the power of motion sensors. These smart devices turn the lights on only when the space is occupied. Available for both indoor and outdoor use, motion sensors have the added benefit of increasing the security around your property by reducing the likelihood of theft or vandalism.
- Rely on dimmer switches. Using a special type of switch circuitry that dims the lights by decreasing overall wattage and output, these switches yield the most energy savings when used with the appropriate energy-efficient LED dimmer light bulbs.
- Use smart lighting design in parking lots. The Illuminating Engineering Society of North America recommends that parking lots be lit at an average of one foot-candle or less of light, but most parking lots are designed with far more. Using lower-wattage bulbs can actually increase the safety of your lot because drivers’ eyes may not be able to adjust quickly in the transition from highly lit to dark areas, creating a hazardous situation. Consider using low-wattage metal halide lamps instead of high-pressure sodium lamps in parking lot fixtures that direct the light downward. Even with their lower wattage, you could safely use fewer lamps with this choice.
- Stock up. Commercial lighting can be expensive, especially if you’re purchasing specialized products such as bulbs for heavy-duty industrial fixtures. Buying commercial lighting in bulk is far more cost effective than purchasing single bulbs.
Making commercial lighting system upgrades can offer your company significant energy cost savings.
Once you’ve upgraded, you can also feel satisfied knowing that you’ve contributed positively to the environment while improving your facility’s ambiance and boosting employee productivity. Could your business benefit from a lighting upgrade? M.R. Electricians is here to help! We offer an array of services to help businesses in the DC metro area get the most out of their commercial lighting. From complete lighting installations to retrofitting your office for a more efficient set up, we’re here to help. Contact us today for a free estimate or to discuss your office lighting needs.
About M.R. Electricians: Since 1996, M.R. Electricians has been serving the electrical needs of homeowners and businesses throughout Montgomery County, Washington, DC, Baltimore, and surrounding areas. The company also specializes in commercial fire protection, contract needs from small tenant fit outs to whole building installations, and motor controls for industrial spaces. From major renovations to the smallest of electrical jobs, the family-owned company is committed to providing high quality products, superior results, and unmatched customer service. Regarded as a leader in the electrical industry, M.R. Electricians has set the standard for excellence in the region. For more information, please visit the website at https://www.mrelectricians.us or call 301.871.0477.